Thursday, April 10, 2008

Nice to Meet You

Allow me to introduce you to the other kids that I teach in addition to Chloe, Victor, and Felix.

Suma and Maga came from India to Spain when they were seven years old. They are awesome girls and I have loved getting to know them. They don't speak much English, and I don't speak much Spanish, so this has been a learning experience for all of us, made possible with my amazing Spanish/English Dictionary and enthusiastic hand signals. Hopefully I've managed to teach them a little bit. They've definitely taught me.

When I told their mother how soon I will be leaving, but that I might return this summer, she nodded vigorously and said "Ojala," which means "God willing." I love when people say "Ojala."


The Garcia Family: Maria, Harry (the huge dog), Guillermo, Maria.

Miguel Garcia

Miguel, me, Guille, Maria.
The Garcias have been a huge blessing to me. The kids' mother, Maria, is such a sweet woman who never fails to bring me cafe con leche and an assortment of delicious Spanish galletas (cookies) during our lessons.

Miguel and I have very interesting conversations about futbol, cursing in Spanish vs. English, throwing up, and my incident with the clown the other day. After I told him about it, he began to mimic a clown swinging on a swingset, and said in a horrible creepy voice, "Hello, Cait. You want be my friend?" It was hilariously awful. The twins and I constantly play "Go Fish" and it is so much fun. Guille has an awesome sense of humor and Maria is super sweet.

Maria gave me some chorizo y jamon serrano to take home with me. She also invited me to come stay with them in their beach house in Alicante this summer, which would be amazing. She constantly talks about my sonrisa (smile) and calls me alegre. I asked Chantal about the translation for alegre- it literally means "happy," but Miguel told me it means more than that, though he wasn't able to describe it. Chantal said it's like a little girl at the playground, laughing and playing without a care in the world. Like a deep inner joy.

I love that. I love that the beauty and love I have experienced is evident to others. I want to show it more, and I want more of it. I love that the greatest force in the universe pours Himself out in trees and tulips and art and water and sky and sand, always there, always affirming, always showing a deeper and greater beauty than I knew the day before. I love that He has let me be a part of it, and that others can see it in me. It is not mine to claim. Thank You, Thank You, Thank You.

No comments: