Saturday, April 19, 2008

Final Days in the Place I Love

from my journal on 4/11:
"Raining again. It was raining when Katie left, and I guess Spain is sad to see me go, too. I'm at La Mallorquina for a final round of cafe con leche, napolitana de chocolate, y bocadillo de jamon y queso. Clint is so right about coffee- it warms the hands, the heart, the soul. I love it, and I can't wait to share some of the Spanish coffee I just bought with him. "



"The band I love so much was on the Metro from Cuzco to Tribunal, pounding out "Tequila" and other upbeat, brassy songs with horns and an upright bass. It made me happy to be alive and difficult to keep my feet still. I gladly gave them some money. They earned it. I also passed the gentle old violinist who sits in Sol. I listened and watched for a moment. He is so peaceful when he plays, and you can see that he loves it, like he is home. The music loves him back, and the notes wrap around him lovingly. They embrace me, too, and I am glad."


"A deep sorrow is threatening to settle into my bones, but joy beats it back. The joy of experience, of adventure and love, of opportunity, of faith and hope for more of the same, is more powerful than any sorrow on earth, and I take shelter in it and smile, because this is my life, and I am blessed by grace and for grace alone.
Joy pervades, and my heart sags with the lovely weight of it. My eyes fill with tears of thanks and I smile, knowing there is much more ahead."

No comments: