Saturday, April 19, 2008

Lessons Learned

Well, it's a bit of an understatement to say that Spain has been the most challenging, exciting, educational experience of my life. I'd like to share with you some of the things I have been enlightened to, in hopes that you will learn something, too. Here is an excerpt from my journal, titled "Things I Have Learned in Spain".

- Fight to always be amazed and never apathetic.
- "No pasa nada." Worrying about something NEVER makes things better, it just wastes time.
- Do not be wasteful (with food, electricity, water, etc.). However, it is perfectly acceptable to have a three hour lunch and then take a nap in the park.
- Be passionate, but quick to both forgive and seek forgiveness.
- Be kind to foreigners and show them extreme grace and understanding.
- Children need discipline.
- I will choose darkness over light, if only because I am lazy. I must be discplined and obedient.
- Always, always, always love. People are hard to love. Love them anyway.
- Fight ethnocentrisity and fight it hard. America is a fantastic country, but there is much, much more to see and experience in the world.
- Be aware of the difference between action out of wounded pride and the true time for assertiveness.
- The experience of missing something or someone points to a worthwhile life and meaningful experience.
- Different is not always better or worse, it's just different.
Don't let people, circumstances, or a bad attitude keep you from having the time of your life.
- Bloom where you're planted. Make the most of the time you've got regardless of your surroundings.
- I believe in God because my soul longs for Him and His deepness, beauty, and truth. My soul knows He is the best way and the best thing and cries out for more.

No comments: