Thursday, February 28, 2008

My Favorite Place in Madrid: Plaza Mayor

from my journal on 2/8:

"It's Friday, the sun is out, and i am alive and well in Spain.

I sit on a circular stone bench surrounding a lamp post in the heart of Madrid's historic district- Plaza Mayor. I'm listening to Jump, and they're singing longingly of California, India, London- but I am more than content to sit here, in Spain.
There are cobblestones under my feet and sunshine on my face, and I feast gladly on pretzel Goldfish and cereal bars. The Plaza is alive with people eating, talking, enjoying the Spanish sun.

I hear languages- all different kinds flowing together in a loving hum that gives the square a soft movement, the ebb and flow of conversation like some gentle, great ocean. I float along willingly. There are musicians here- a cellist, a percussionist, an accordian player. They add their offering to the ocean.

The paintings on the buildings around me tell a story. I wish I knew what it was. A moment ago, someone nearby was smoking a pipe. The aroma was rich, deep, and filling. The pigeons soaring through the open air add an element of poetry to such a picturesque setting.

A welcome breeze plays wiht my hair, and I close my eyes, enjoying the complementary sensations of the coolness of the air and the warmth of the sun.
I wonder if the statue man is still somewhere behind me. He is painted gold and has something rigged up so that it appears he is riding a horse, mimicking the statue of Felipe III which sits (unmoving) in front of me.

Painters add color to the edges of the square with their creations- a flash of orange here, a stroke of blue there. Reds, pinks, and greens follow.


I am overjoyed to be here. This is wonderful. Thank You, Lord."

3 comments:

Elise said...

You have become a poet, Caits. I was mesmerized by your writing -- very beautiful, very lyrical, very sensuous. -- Auntie E.

Clint said...

You're aunt is right. You're definitely gifted. I keep telling you that. Janet's enjoying your blog too, just so ya know. I cant wait to hear how you describe portugal.

Also, I'm very surprized, you actually used capital letters at the beginning of your sentences for once. ;-)

Unknown said...

one more week until me and lindsey get to come hang with you. Your mom has been super awesome with this whole thing. I'm glad you're having fun still and getting to see all the sights.