Monday, February 11, 2008

Introducing: My Host Family


well, its about dang time you met them.

from the left: Chloe (11), Chantal, Felix (7), Javier, Victor (9). although getting adjusted to living with this family has not been without its challenges (challenges = not strangling Felix), i have so greatly enjoyed getting to know them and figuring out how to love on them. heres some more on each of them:

Chantal
- came to Spain 15 years ago from France to study
- met Javier and they dated for 3 years and then both joined the Army
- volunteered with the Army in Brazil
- has family in France she still visits yearly
- does not get along well with many Spanish women
- total matriarch who completely runs the family
- is a very involved mother who expects A LOT out of her children
- calls me "Khat-leen"
-has a great sense of humor

Javier
- works in international shipping and gets paid in dollars rather than euros
- a quiet, soft-spoken man who is very helpful
- has run with the bulls on many occasions
- travels frequently for work and has gone to Germany twice since ive been here
- joined the Army and went to the Canary Islands

Chloe
- plays clarinet and likes to ride bikes
- likes Italy the best out of all the places shes traveled
- wants to be an architect or actress; originally wanted to be a spy
- does "eurhythmic gymnastics" and is learning German
- occasionally has a teenage attitude
- loves Zac Efron, hates math





Victor
- plays oboe and basketball
- is almost able to do the splits
- likes drawing and pineapple pizza
- loves reading Harry Potter with me
- has amazing handwriting
- enjoys writing in English when it is about Star Wars (we are currently in the process of writing and illustrating Star Wars 9: The Last Sith)





Felix
- is OBSESSED with Star Wars
- loves to learn new languages (French, English, Italian, Mandarin Chinese)
- likes to cook (especially Star Wars-themed gingerbread cookies)
- plays the French horn, called a trompa in Spanish
- came in contact with a poisonous caterpillar last year and then touched his eye, which led to a terrible infection, and somehow he freakishly still has parts of the caterpillar in his eye
- goes from hating me to loving me in 5 seconds
- is very undisciplined (this is common in Spain) and occasionally tries to strangle me, pokes me in inappropriate places, hits me, and tells me to shut up and that he hates me
- is known to also be very sweet and told me (via a Jar Jar Binks action figure) that he loves me because i am beautiful
- constantly asks me "Do you love me?"


now youve (kind of) met my host family. this trip has so far been probably the greatest challenge of my life, but i am relishing the opportunity to grow, adapt, stretch, and change. please pray that the Lord would reveal new ways for me to show this family His great love and beauty.

soon to come: pics from El Rastro, Plaza Mayor, Segovia, and The Walk of Shame. adios for now.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

hehe this is a wonderful post. i am so glad that GOd is growing and stretching you, and it sounds like you're a great english teacher too! and you were worried... !

Unknown said...

Caits- sounds like Mom needs to bring you a wooden spoon or two on her next trip!
Da

Anonymous said...

I see alot of Jesus/Christian illustrations in Star Wars.

Unknown said...

Caits- the kids are so cute. You can tell that they really love you and are having fun with you.The family picture is really nice. Just remember how your brothers were when they were little. I think it is a sign of intelligence. Just be patient and enjoy.Love-Mom.

Lindsey said...

there's parts of the caterpillar still in his eye?!!? i would really love to see that.

haha it seems as thought you have quite the handful that keep you on your toes and workin hard at stayin ahead of them. good luck and godspeed my dear friend!

also, i love you and cannot wait to possibly see you soon!!!