Thursday, January 24, 2008

I'm not dead! I'm alive! And I'm in Spain!

¡hola amigos!

well, im here. today is day 6 and i am loving Spain so far. there is so much to tell you... but i dont think now is the time. im in an internet cafe (a Dunkin Coffee... as opposed to Dunkin Donuts), and i only have an hour. trust me, that is not enough time to give you a proper update. also, i am not able to upload pictures, and pictures are a necessity in global storytime. soon, i promise.

Spain is a vibrant country, full of life and beauty and energy. the people here are wonderful- helpful, kind, gracious, passionate. i am enjoying this immensely, especially now that i have met up with Katie and Denise. those first four days alone were definitely interesting, and necessary, i might add. i feel like a different person.

mini-story/something to ponder: Tuesday i met a man in the park at El Templo de Debod (google it, its beautiful) and we had a good 15 minute long chat in broken English and Spanish, which is always entertaining. he asked me what i was doing in Spain; i told him i wasnt really sure yet, but i had a few ideas. it turns out he is a psychology professor at a nearby university. we talked about psychology for a while and how i might want to be a counselor someday.
he told me that sometimes people travel away from home to escape from their family, and in doing so, eliminate mental illness. he made some kind of cutting motion, like he was using scissors, and said, "Umbilical." he asked me what i was trying to cut ties with. i told him my thoughts, and he understood. that idea has been on my mind the last few days, and i think el profesor de psicología was on to something. i already feel like things are different in the best way possible, like i am different. i like that, and i am so glad to be here.

thank you, for helping me get here. and thank You, Lord, for the wonders these eyes have seen in this handful of days so far.

te amo.

6 comments:

f8d90a said...

Sounds like something right out of a story -- meeting a psychology professor in the park and getting an analogy from him that fits your life right now. I hope you have many more stories to tell over the course of the trip.

Anonymous said...

please tell denise to allow anonymous comments like you do - love you darlin, will be reading of the adventures!

Anonymous said...

ps that anonymous was michelle de mexico

Anonymous said...

Email me if you can. I really miss you. Like this stuff is tougher without you here.

Anonymous said...

hmmm... I wonder if that's why I want to move to New York so badly. Running away? I guess maybe it's a natural instinct. But if things really are clearer when you're somewhere else entirely, then baby, put me on the plane!! I'm jealous of you. God pulled my world out from under me the day you flew off - I feel like a different person, but I didn't get a sweet trip to Europe to work the change. Oh well. I'm so glad that you're there and happy, and I will be infinitely excited to ehar how God uses this change for you.

love, morgan

Anonymous said...

HA! great story.
-Dorsey