Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Oh, Portugal...

...you have captured my heart and ensnared my senses.

Lisbon

Rossio Plaza, the site of our amazing hostel. what a fitting way to start the day- to wake up in the sunshine, step outside into a bustling square, and start your day with Love.

Lisbon's triumphal arch, Rua Augusta, in Comercio Square.
blue and yellow.

Jeronimos Monastery

The Monastery was built in 1502 to commemorate Vasco da Gama's journey to India and to give thanks to the Virgin Mary for his success.

King Manuel I ordered the structure to be built on a site where Vasco da Gama and his crew spent the night in prayer before the voyage.

Thus, the style of architecture is called Manueline, and sought to glorify the great discoveries being made during this time in Portugal's history.

The tomb of great Portugese poet Luis de Camoes.



The cloister.

from my journal on 3/1:
"Lord, i am in Portugal and i am happy. What a beautiful, tranquil, amazing place. I sit on a stone wall, listening to the sound of the ocean lapping at rocky shores, watching sailboats coast by, their white sails dotting the surface of the water under the huge Golden Gate-like bridge, and i give thanks. Thank You, Lord.
To my left is Belem Tower, used a bastion to protect the city against pirates. To my right are three wonderful friends, my travel companions. The sun is warm and the sea breeze is cool. The ocean is whispering a soothing lullaby and the seabirds add their contribution to the chorus. I lift my heart and join in, too, with my song of thanks to the Great Creator of ocean and monastery and sun and life."
Belem Tower

Built in the early 16th century to serve as a gateway to the city and a source of protection.

The tower has also served as a customs control point, telegraph station, lighthouse, and political prison.




The Monument to Discovery
This monument celebrates the Portugese explorers who took part in the Age Discovery during the 15th and 16th centuries.

Henry the Navigator leads the way, followed by cartographers, scientists, artists, writers, and missionaries.
St. George's Castle

The castle dates back to around the 6th century and is visible from almost anywhere in Lisbon.



What a view!



Peacocks roam the grounds of the castle, their colors impossibly beautiful.

Sintra

Sintra is just a 45 minute train ride from Lisbon and is well worth the trip.



View from the Sintra National Palace.

Pena National Palace

Built on the site of a 16th century convent, the Palace is an intentional mixture of eclectic architectural styles.

Styles displayed include Neo-Gothic, Neo-Renaissance, Manueline, and Islamic.






Cabo da Roca

This is probably my most favorite place I have ever been. It was sheer madness to try and take pictures while we were here- there is no way a simple camera can capture the absolute splendor and magnificence of such a place, but I did my best.

This is the westernmost point of mainland Europe, on the very edge of the Atlantic Ocean.



It is ridiculously windy here.



"Hi, America! You have a lot of people that I love very dearly and wish were here to share this with me. Take good care of them. I miss you!"

"Is this place even real?? I don't believe it."



Portugal or Ireland or New Zealand?


from my journal on 3/2:
"Here i am, the most Western point of Europe, on the edge of the Atlantic Ocean, and I am speechless. Thank You, Jesus. Thank You.
Emerald green grass, the roar of the pounding saltbreakers, the blinding glint of the sun on the water, the endless endless endless blue fading to gray and mingling with the sky. Mossy crags and rock speckled with orange lintels and sunbright yellow flowers. I am gazing out over the frigid, steely gray, and as far as my eyes can tell, infinite, Atlantic. The closest I've been to home. The closest i have been to you yet, and you don't even know.
This is the most amazing thing i have ever seen- i say that with certainty and without hyperbole. I miss you."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing- I can't get over the lack of airconditioners in your shots of the cities! The narrow streets (Toledo), the incredible architecture. Your simple little camera and your wonderful artist's eye are doing a good job; combined with your lyricism you indeed make me feel as if I were there.

Faja

Anonymous said...

soooo thank you for your pics it's been a loooong time since i've seen a sky that blue :)

don't ever come back to real life, ok? you belong there.

PS> how do i call you? i tried calling your cell and it just went straight to voicemail...

The Baublets said...

hey caitlin! i found your blog through denise's. i'm glad you are having such a wonderful time in spain! i can only imagine how amazing it is. :)

Those Tonnes said...

Hey Caitlin! All the way from Texas I write. Didn't know that you had a blog. Loved all the pictures. You are quite the photographer. Can't wait to hear more stories when you get back.